Lineage from GENEALOGY & LOCAL HISTORY & EARLY MAPS OF MARYLAND, DELAWARE, SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA, VIRGINIA, WASHINGTON D.C. Volume 4 9975.2 Jordan pp240-60 & ANNE ARUNDEL GENTRY - Cheney Family p. 348-9
Richard Chaney Sr (bIreland d1688) m Charity & Eleanor- Richard Jr. son of Charity
son Richard Chaney Jr. (b1649) m Mary - his brother - Thomas Chaney (b1668) m Sarah Westhall
son Benjamin Chaney (b1687) son of Richard - m cousin - dau of Thomas, Ruth Chaney (b1705) bro Moses
brother John Chaney, son of Richard married Ann Burgess
Benjamin Chaney & Ruth Chaney had son Greenberry Chaney (b1740)
John Chaney & Ann Burgess had son Burgess Chaney (b1727)
Green berry Chaney (b1740) and Burgess Chaney (b1727) are first cousins
A Green Berry Chaney & a Benjamin Burgess Chaney were in Wilkes County Georgia. Are they the same as the above?
Burgess Chaney (b1727) to John Chaney and Ann Burgess - could be Benjamin Burgess Chaney d1782 (would have been 55) Wilkes Co, GA. Adm of estate Henry Karr - son-in-law - married Nancy Ann Chaney - had land in South Carolina at time of death.
Greenberry Chaney (b 1740) to Benjamin and Ruth Chaney - could be Greenberry Chaney who died 1779 (would be 39) Wilkes Co, GA m. ? ____ Peyton . Adm of estate Henry Karr - had minor heirs - some still minor 1792. This Greenberry (b1740) was first cousin to Burgess Chaney (b1727).
Some of the possible minor heirs of Greenberry Chaney - born before 1779:
1. Moses Chaney - 1790 Wilkes Co, GA census - d 1796 of Green Co, GA. (next to Wilkes) killed in Hancock Co, Ga. Adm of estate Henry Karr. Was he named for GB’s mother’s brother - his uncle - Ruth Chaney, mother of Greenberry Chaney b 1740, had a brother who died young named Moses Chaney.
2. John Chaney - 1805 land in Wilkes Co, GA - d Wilkes Co. 1838. Was he named for GB’s father’s brother - his uncle?
3. Emanuel Chaney - (b abt 1770) 1790 Washington Co, Ga Census - m Sarah ?Cato. Was he the Manuel Chaney mentioned in the inventory of Green Berry Chaney 1791? He was in Washington Co, Mississippi Territory later Alabama 1798. Was he Emanuel Burgess Chaney? Did the name Emanuel come from his mother’s family - maybe an Emanuel Peyton?
4. P. (?Peyton) Chaney - shown in the 1791 inventory of Green Berry Chaney has having some of his property. Was he who the Peyton Chaney, brother of the younger Green Berry Chaney, was named after?
Probable sons of Emanuel Chaney :
1. Peyton Chaney b1791 left will 1840 naming brother Greenberry’s sons. Was he named after Mother’s last name?
2. Greenberry Chaney b1794 GA m. Caroline Hainsworth. Was he named after Emanuel’s father?
Known children of Greenberry Chaney:
2 sons named Emanuel Burgess Chaney - first son named Emanuel died
daughter Sarah Cato Chaney
son Bailey E. Chaney
son Greenberry Chaney & others
Early Records of GA Vol I - Wilkes Co - Mixed Records - Wills - Administration - Deeds 1777-17?? p43
Folio 34 Greenberry Chaney, dec'd Henry Cox. Appointed Administrator 4 Dec 1782
Folio 18 Benjamin Burgess Chaney dec'd Henry Cox son in law of said deceased. Appointed Administrator 3 Nov 1782.
Folio 49 both on Benjamin Burgess Chaney - late of Wilkes Co. part of estate appraised in South Carolina by Thomas Hagan, James & John Harris 29 Feb 1783
[Note by Dianne: Henry Cox was Henry Karr/Carr.]