John Richbourg Sr & Mary Long
Home ] Up ]


1820 Sumter County, South Carolina Census


1 male 16 to 26 years

1 male 45 years & up

1 female 26 to 45 years

1 female 45 years & up


In 1785 JOHN RICHBOURG had land bounded by Thomas Wise.



RICHBOURG, JOHN b. 8-23-1747 d. 11-29-1838 Capt SC 1) Mary Long

2) Sarah Abbott





South Carolina Department of Archives & History

Indenture of JOHN RICHBOURG Executor of Claudius Richbourg $1.05

Sumter Co. Deeds Vol. A, pp. 2780-280 18' SU. c.1 Roll 1 3 pgs



p. 39 Claudius Richbourg's Wife

Choving Richardson Clark of Manning South Carolina, a Committee member of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina, has deposited in the Library a Richbourg document which will be of great genealogical value to Richbourg records as it seems to provide conclusive evidence as to the identity of the wife of Claudius Richbourg. Mr. Clark's letter below accompanying the document points out further details of genealogical interest:

"I secured from the National Archives at Washington the attached four-page sworn statement of JOHN RICHBOURG, SR., made in 1833 in connection with his application for a federal pension based on his service in the Revolutionary War under the pension law passed in 1832 when JOHN was 85 years old. You will note on line S, page 1, that JOHN RICHBOURG, Sr., lists Henry, James and Nathaniel Richbourg as being in the same outfit with him and stating that they were his brothers (a fighting family, I would say, to come down from a notable man of religion). JOHN gives his own birth date as August 23, 1747, near the bottom of page 3.

Then, on line 19 from the bottom of page 2, JOHN names one of the officers of his company as Lieut. Fox, whom he said was his uncle. I have seen some references indicating that JOHN's father (Claudius) married Unity Ridgill, but your records show it was Unity Fox, which I believe is correct. If Lieut. Fox was JOHN RICHBOURG's uncle I should think his mother had to be a Fox (no pun).

You might like to have this document in your files for corroboration on some names, although I doubt if your files need much corroboration. I think this document and others of like nature which I have obtained from the pension files in the National Archives give a thrilling insight into the early settlers' struggle for independence, not written by historians but by the men who were doing the fighting in the swamps of South Carolina. (With modesty, I mention that JOHN RICHBOURG served under General Richard Richardson, my 4G grandfather)."

P. 50-3 JOHN RICHBOURG and the American Revolution by Chovine Richardson Clark, Manning, South Carolina. JOHN RICHBOURG was a son of Claudius Richbourg and his second wife Unity Fox, and a grandson of the Reverend Claude Philippe de Richebourg (Americanized to Richbourg.) Claude Philippe fled from his home in the Province of Berri in France, along with thousands of other French Protestants, or Huguenots, to escape religious persecution by the Roman Catholic Church with government approval. His wife Anne Chastain, daughter of Etienne Chastain, was with him. They went first to England, thence about 1699 to the Colony of Virginia where Claude Philippe served a Huguenot Church at Manakin Town on the James River. Differences arose there among the Huguenots and the Reverend Richbourg about 1708 moved with many of his congregation to a settlement on the Trent River in North Carolina. However, brutal massacres of white settlers by Indians in the area caused him and his followers to move on and finally settle about 1712 in the village of Jamestown on the Santee River in Berkeley County in the Province of South Carolina. There he succeeded the Reverend Pierre Robert as pastor of the Huguenot Church, and there spent the remaining years of his life until his death about 1718.

The Revolutionary War record of JOHN RICHBOURG, a native of the Jack's Creek section of Clarendon County, South Carolina, has been revealed through public records and family papers. Therefore, it is factual and I tell it in the first person as JOHN did in 1832, in sworn statements in support of his application for a federal pension based on his military service. From pertinent documents in the National Archives and other written records, immaterial and repetitious matter has been left out.

I, JOHN RICHBOURG was born August 23, 1747, in what is now Clarendon County but then was called St. Mark's Parish, in Craven County, South Carolina. In this year of 1832 I am 85 years old and know this is my correct age because I copied the date of my birth out of our family Bible where my father had it recorded in his own handwriting.

Soon after the Revolutionary War began, I joined as a private soldier a company of volunteers commanded by Captain Richard Richardson. Other officers in this company were my brothers James Richbourg and Nathaniel Richbourg, and my half-brother Henry Richbourg. Colonel Richard Richardson (later general), father of Captain Richard Richardson, commanded the regiment to which the volunteer company was attached. My company was mounted and armed with such weapons as could be procured. I went out sometimes with Colonel Thompson on expeditions against the Tories, also referred to as Loyalists, all these being colonists who favored submitting to Great Britain.

It was in December 1775 that I joined Colonel Richardson's regiment and was marched to Granby, near what was to become Columbia, and on to Ninety Six to assist in the defense of the power magazine there. On our approach the Tories fled but we took about ten of their officers as prisoners, including the important Colonel Fletchall. I marched with a detachment under Captain Richardson and Captain Singleton to Charleston with the prisoners, remained in Charleston a few days and then rejoined

Colonel Richardson's forces on the Santee and was discharged for a few days.

In January 1776 I was called back for duty in charleston for a month or more with the volunteer company to help guard the city. I continued to serve in the company until Captain Richardson was made a colonel, and my brothers accepted commissions under General Thomas Sumter. Then a militia company was raised and was commanded by Captain William Cantey with Richard G. Dennis as first lieutenant, and I was commissioned a second lieutenant by Governor Rutledge and served in this company. My field officers were General Richardson, Colonel Richardson, Lieutenant Colonel John James and Major John Gamble.

In February 1780 during the siege of Charleston I was there with my company to help defend the city, until it fell to the British in May 1780. I was thereupon taken a prisoner of war and confined to the limits of my plantation in Clarendon County for a year. As such a prisoner I suffered more than in active army service. I was always in danger of losing my life to any Tory scouting party and was by them plundered of all my belongings. These British scouts would, for no reason at all, shoot to death men sitting by their firesides with their families and inquire later as to the identity of the men they had just killed. This was a common act for the Tories to commit. Had I violated the terms of my parole it would have cost me my life.

When released from parole, I joined General Green's forces near Orangeburg, but the general found the British to be entrenched there with a strong force of men and decided to stay away from Orangeburg at that time. I was then assigned to the forces of General Sumter and General Marion and we were ordered by General Green down the country to Biggin Church, where there was an encampment of British soldiers. On our approach the British set the church on fire and fled. Colonel McCauley and Colonel Lee pursued them with the calvary. The rest of the army followed and we overtook the enemy at Quinby Bridge, where a battle ensued. In this battle I commanded a company of soldiers although I never received my commission as a captain. In the battle of Captain Bates and several privates were killed and my uncle, Lieutenant Fox, was wounded. This was in July 1781.

The army returned to the Santee near Murry's Ferry for encampment and I was allowed to go home for about a month. After that I rejoined the army, as I recollect in the fork of the Waterree and Congaree Rivers, crossed the Congaree and went down to Murry's Ferry and comped in the Santee swamp for some time. A scouting party of General Marion's forces took eight British prisoners of war and I was put in charge of a detachment to guard these prisoners, and for safety, took them a few miles down the river to an island as we feared the British might attack us in an effort to take the prisoners back.

Shortly, I was released from this command and was on my way back to rejoin the army which had left camp to attack the British at Eutaw, but by the time I got there the battle was over. After this battle I returned home for about two months and then joined General Marion again near Murry's Ferry where we camped. From there we went to Wadboo. The enemy was attempting to surprise General Marion but he learned of this and retreated to Santee, where we stayed for a while and then went back to Wadboo and there made camp.

I went on scouting parties and with General Marion went to a place on Wassamassaw, called the Cypress. Colonel Richardson was sent out with a detachment against the enemy encamped on the Cooper River just below Wadboo, and was defeated there. Our army then took a roundabout route by the seashore to try to intercept the British but failed and returned to Wadboo. I was allowed to go home for about two months. After this General Marion shifted his position frequently to avoid British foraging parties which were trying to get provisions by plundering.

I was with General Marion when he crossed the Santee River at Lenud's Ferry in pursuit of a party of British and returned to Wadboo, where we left a number of beef cattle with thirty men to guard them from the enemy. The British, hearing from Tories that there was only a thirty-man guard there, attempted to get our cattle. General Marion returned to camp earlier than expected and we had a sharp skirmish with British dragoons who were on his foraging expedition. Three of them were killed and some were wounded it was near the close of the war and after this skirmish I was discharged by General Marion. He did not give written discharges. I was never drafted into the army. I volunteered for service from the beginning to the end of the war. After the war I resided in the Raftin Creek section of Sumter District.

From 1832, when Congress passed a law allowing pensions to Revolutionary War soldiers, and until 1836, JOHN RICHBOURG was endeavoring to prove his war service by the testimony of fellow soldiers William R. Brunson and John Wise, and civilian neighbors who knew of his military service. This was often the case because of the lack of government records of military service in militia and volunteer companies. JOHN's pension in the about of $216.88 per annum was finally approved in 1836, when he was 89 years old. He died November 29, 1839. In connection with the pension application, neighbors and acquaintances certified in

1834 that JOHN RICHBOURG had sustained a reputation of having been a Revolutionary War officer and that he was not only an honest but also a strictly religious man who could be relied on to tell the truth. The list of those testifying in JOHN's behalf is incomplete because some signatures are undecipherable. Those identified are: Joseph S. Bossard, Geo. S. Limbacker, A. J. McKenney, James McKensey, Sr., (?)B. Rhame, Rev. Henry D. Green, C. Rembert, Reuben Long, Evan Benbow, Richard Ragin, Geo. S. C. Deschamps and John A. Colcough.

The fighting men of the Revolution who had to come up against well supplied and trained British soldiers in the South Carolina Low country had a great ally in the mighty Santee River and its vast swamp which served not only as a natural barrier to the enemy but as a safe refuge for our soldiers.

Apparently frustrated and aggravated by General Francis Marion's method of fighting, that is, striking and disappearing into the dense swamp (which would be called guerrilla warfare now) British Colonel Watson sent a note to Marion complaining that neither he nor his sentries could cross a bridge or stand guard without being fired at by Marion's men. In his frustration he wrote Marion "Why, my God, sir, this is not the way that

Christians ought to fight." General Marion sent his answer to Colonel Watson to the effect that since he and his men had come three thousand miles from England to plunder and hand an innocent people they should be the last to preach about honor and humanity and tell these innocent people how they should fight.

It was a good day for Clarendon County and for South Carolina when the Reverend Claude Philippe Richbourg decided to cast his lot with the other French Huguenots in the colony of South Carolina--(Francis Marion himself was a descendant of one of them). Having four grandsons in the Revolutionary War at the same time made this quite a fighting family to come down from a notable man of religion, and his spirit still lives in our community through his many descendants.

This Revolutionary soldier's story gives us a glimpse of the sacrifice and hardships form which came the freedom and liberty we enjoy today. It also reminds us of the debt we owe these gallant men and of our obligation to keep our nation strong and free.

P. 70 iii. JOHN RICHBOURG, who was born August 23, 1717, and died November 29, 1838 (3) He served as a Captain in Colonel Sumter's Regiment, South Carolina, during the Revolution. (4) He also aided in winning American Independence by furnishing supplies to the South Carolina Militia. (5) In 1773 Captain JOHN RICHBOURG married Mary Long who was born in 1755 and died in 1775, survived by a son Nathaniel Richbourg, who married Susan Holliday. After Mary Long's death, Captain RICHBOURG contracted a second marriage with Sarah Abbott. Captain RICHBOURG was listed in the census of 1800 for Clarendon County as "JOHN RICHBOURG, SEN." and as the head of a family consisting of one free white male of 45 years and upward, two free white males, between 16 and 26 years, one free white male between 10 and 16 years, one free white male under 10 years, one free white female of 45 years and upward, one free white female between 26 and 26 years, and seven slaves. (7)

(3) Dr. Robert Wilson MSS relating to CLAUDE PHILIPPE DE RICHEBOURG'S family.

(4) Lineage Book No. 77, pages 43-44. See, also Jayne Caraway Garinton Pruitt: REVOLUTIONARY WAR PENSION APPLICANTS WHO SERVED FROM SOUTH CAROLINA, page 44. The South Carolina Commissioners of the Treasury issued two indented certificates to JOHN RICHBOURG on account of his Revolutionary services as a soldier. On October 28, 1785, they issued a certificate "to JOHN RICHBOURG for 20 pounds, 15 shillings, for 83 days duty in 1780 per account audited on which no interest is allowed until one year's int becomes due". A. S. Salley, Jr.: STUB ENTRIES TO INDENTS ISSUED IN PAYMENT OF CLAIMS AGAINST SOUTH CAROLINA GROWING OUT OF THE REVOLUTION, Book Y, page 50, No. 138, and on June 11, 1786 they issued a certificate to "JOHN RICHBOURG, Lieut. for 4 pounds 5 shillings stlg. for pay due him while a prisoner in 1780 and 1781 P. acct. audited." A. S. Salley, Jr.:  STUB ENTRIES TO INDENTS ISSUED IN PAYMENT OF CLAIMS AGAINST SOUTH CAROLINA GROWING OUT OF THE REVOLUTION, Book Y, page 188, No. 1314.

(5) On August 7, 1784 the South Carolina Commissioners of the Treasury issued an indent settlement "Mr. JOHN RICHBOURG for 35 pounds, 19 shillings and 11 pence for militia use in 1781 and 1782 as per account ." Wyhna Anne Wates: STUB ENTRIES TO INDENTS ISSUED IN PAYMENT OF CLAIMS AGAINST SOUTH CAROLINA GROWING OUT OF THE REVOLUTION, Book II, page 111, No. 254.

(6) Dr. Robert Wilson, MSS.

(7) John Richbourg, Jr. was listed in the census of 1800 for Clarendon County as the head of a family consisting of one free white male between 16 and 26, one free white male between 10 and 16, one free white female between 26 and 45.


South Carolina

I Have caused to be admeasured and laid out unto JOHN RICHBOURG a Tract of Land containing Four hundred Acres, situate in the District of Camden in Turkey Cock Fork of Jack's Creek and hath such Form and Marks, butting and Boundings as the above Plat represents.

Certified for the 6th Day of August 1784.

Isham Moore

Dep. SurvG. Ephriam Mitchell Surv Genl


State of South Carolina

To all to whom these Presents shall come, Greeting:

Know ye, that for and in consideration of Nine Pounds six shillings, 48 sterling Money paid by JOHN RICHBOURGH into the Treasury for the Use of this State, We have granted, and by these Presents do grant, unto the said JOHN RICHBOURGH his heirs and Assigns, a Plantation or Tract of Land, containing Four hundred Acres Situate the District of Camden in the Turkey Cock Fork of Jack's Creek having such shape, Form and Marks as are represented by a Plat hereunto annexed, to her with all Wo Trees, Waters, Water-courses, Profits, Commodities, Appurtenances and Hereditaments whatever thereunto belonging, To Have and to Hold the said Tract of Four hundred Acres of Land, and all and singular other the Premises hereby granted into the said JOHN RICHBOURG, his Heirs and Assigns, for ever, in free and common soccage. Given under the Great Seal of the State. Witness his Excellency William Moultrie, Esquire, Governor and Commander with in and over the Said State, at Charleston, this first day of August Anno Domini, One Thousand Seven Hundred and eighty five and in the ninth Year of the Independence of the United States of America


South Carolina

Sumter District

Pursuant to Request from Mr. Hugh Richbourg & Mr. William W. Richbourg have Resurveyed & Divided part of a Tract of Land originally granted by JOHN RICHBOURG in the year 1784 the 6th day of August for 400 Acres But by a Resurvey made by James Bowman found it to contain 6 acres And 320 being cut off for Nathaniel Richbourg find to contain 319 acres and 106 acres. Mrs. Susan Richbourg by Division of Estate But all the parties being willing to make the middle of creek the line I have done it as the above Plat Represents it being and Lying on Jacks Creek waters of Santee River and hath such shape marks & Boundaries as are Represented on the above Plat surveyed the 1st March 1839. Thomas E. Harvin DS


JOHN RICHBOURG, SR. Military Papers

Sir--Be good enough to Direct my papers to Bradfords Spring

Sumter District South Carolina--JOHN RICHBOURG, Senr



So Carolina 30.695


Det. in the State of So. Carolina was a Private and Lieut in the Compy Commanded by Captain Richardson of the Regt. Commanded by Col. Thompson int he So. Carolina line for

6 mos Private # 20

14 mos 23 days Le 196.88



Inscribed on the Roll of South Carolina at the sate of 286 Dollars 88 Cents for Annum to Commence on the 4th day of March 1831

Certificate of Pension issued the 15th day of June 1836 and forwarded to Hon. Rich. J. Manning Ha. of Rep.

Arrests to the 4th of Mar. 1836 #1084.40

Semi-ani allowance ending 4th Sept. 108.44



(Revolutionary Claim

(Act June 7, 1832

Recorded by R. Budine, Clerk

Book # Vol. G p. 79


War Department,

Pension Office

May 21 of 1833


The evidence in support of your claim, under the act of June 7, 1832, has been examined, and the papers are herewith returned. The following is a statement of your case in tabular form. On comparing these papers with the following rules, and the subjected noted, you will readily perceive that objections exist, which must be removed, before a pension can be allowed. The notes and the regulations will show that it is necessary to be done. Those points to which your attention is more particularly directed, you will find marked in the margin with a brace, (thus). You will, when you return your papers to this Department, send this printed letter with them; and you will, by complying with this request, greatly facilitate the investigation of your claim.

A Statement, showing the Service of JOHN RICHBOURG Period when the service was rendered.

Dd 1775 left the same at the ade of the war some was 10 mo after he entrd the company was assigned and he then rect. and Commission under D

Rank of the Claimant.


Names and Rank of the Company officers under whom he served.

Capt. Richmond Capt Contin

Names and Rank of the General and Field officers.

Under Richardson: Col. Thompson Genl. Richardson

Under Contis: Lt. Col Li James, Col Richardson, Genl.


Battles in which the applicant was engaged

Quimby Brigade

Place of abode when he entered the service, and age at the present period.

85 years Craven Co., South Carolina

Evidence by which the declaration is supported.

Traditeracy a clergyman and a living witness

The deponent states in his amended declaration that he was in actual service, at least, one third of the time/war Decd 1775 until the close of the war with the exception of the time he was prisoner.

I am, respectfully, your obedient servant, J. L. Edwards,

Commissioner of Pensions.


State of South Carolina

Sumter District Personally appeared before me William J. Richards one of the Justices of the Peace in the District and state aforesaid JOHN RICHBOURG, SENR. who being first duly sworn make all andevery contained in the Declaration made for the purpose of obtaining his pension and by way of amendment explanation thereof States that he entered the service as a volunteer in a company commanded by Capt. Richard Richardson his subortes event Henry Richbourg, James Richbourg and Nathaniel Richbourg (who were the brothers of the deponent). That Col. Richardson (who was afterwards General) commanded the Regiment (to which said confederate company was attached and Col. Thompson commanded the calvary that the company to which this deponent was attached was wounded and armed with guns of such description as would be conveniently procured and was sometimes out with Col. Thompson upon expeditions against the Tories that his deponents not now recollected the precise date at which he commanded Service in this company but knows that after he joined Col. Richardson (say) in December 1775 he was marched from between Waterree and Congaree to Granly and from there near to ninety-six for the purpose of assisting in the difference of the magazine there that upon their approach the Tories fled and we took nine or ten of their officers prisoners, among them was Col. Fletcher and this deponent marched with a detachment under Capt. Richardson and Capt. Singleton to Charleston with the prisoners--This deponent knows this took place in December 1775. He remained in Charleston a few days which was sometime in January after and upon their return Col. Richardson on Santee. The company was discharged for a few days. This deponent remained at home a few days and again out with the company and to Charleston where they arrived the later part of January. He thinks he remained in Charleston a month or more. That it was the practice of this volunteer company to turn out at every call and that we were the most of our time in camps and in Charleston and together. That we were more like regulars than volunteers. We went often called to Charleston to guard the town. From length of time and loss of memory this deponent cannot State with precision the exact time he served in said volunteer company, but he thinks he was six months in actual Service at least as a private volunteer--being the most of this time (or rather nearly all his time) during the eight or ten months the Company continued in actual service. He continued to serve in said volunteer company had above stated, until Capt. Richardson was promoted and made Col and the deponents Brothers and the Subotterus? officers of said company and who are now dead and accepted commissions under General Sumter. There was then a militia company which was commanded by Capt. William Canty. Richard G. Daves 1st Lieutenant and this deponent 2nd Lieutenant. The field officers were at that time Gene Richardson, Col. Richardson--Leut Col. John James and Gamble. He thinks he received his commission eight or ten months after first entering the service and continued to act under it and same as the militia did until the Siege of Charleston in February 1780 at which time he was ordered to Charleston, where he remained until it fell in May 1780--at this time he was taken prisoner but under Parole and confined by the Parole to the of his private where he remained twelve or thirteen months service where this deponent suffered great privations than if he had been in camps he was plundered of almost all he had left in danger of loosing his life by every at their first approach in sight for may in the were shot by their fire side and inquiry made aftwards to know who they were. some who called themselves whites thus--in this way after they had taken the life of the individual by his fire side, being peacebly carring his family resistance and then enquired who he was. It was a common for Tories to act thus. This deponent would much rather of been in camps than under this Street Parole. If he broke his parole by going out of this enclosures, his life could make attonement. Having understood that the prisoners on both sides were released from their paroles he then under Col. James joined General Green near Orangeburg about the month of June and thinks the British were then incamped in Orangeburg and General Green fending the British were intrenched and had too strong force removed from the neighborhood of Orangeburg and across the Santee river at Pinkney's ferry this deponent with General Sumter and General Marion parted with General Green at this ferry be under ordered by General Green down the Country to Biggin Church where there was a incampment of the British, the British set the Church on fire and fled. Col. McCoully and Col. Lee pursued them with the calvary--the rest of the army followed after and overtook the enemy at Quimby Bridge where a battle insued in this battle this deponent was engaged with his Company and bearing command as Capt. and yet only and holding his lieutenant commission, as he continued to do to the end of the war, in this battle, Capt. Bates and Several privates were killed and Lieutenant Fox (an uncle of this deponent) was wounded, the Battle of Quimby this deponent thinks took place in July 1781. The army returned to Santee near Murry's ferry where they incamped a Short time. This deponent then returned home but cannot tell how long he stayed. He thinks he joined the army in about a month after he returned home he believes he joined the army in the fork of the Wateree and Congaree and then crossed the Congaree and went down to Santee River near Murry's Ferry and encamped in the Santee Swamp for sometimes--a scouting party of General Marrions took 7 or 8 British prisoners while we were encamped in Santee Swamp and this deponent was appointed officer of a guard to guard the prisoners and was sent by water three or four miles down the river to an Island lest the British should attack the American army and retake said prisoners. This deponent was released from this command and was on his way to the army (which had left the encampment for the purpose of attacking the at the Eautaw) when the engagement took place that did not get to the army until the battle was over the British at Eautaw. This deponent returned home sometimes after the Eautaw battle; he thinks he made as of not more than two months (at most) at home and then joined Genl. Marrion again near Murry's Ferry and encamped there there and from thence to Wadboo the enemy was attempting to give Genl. Marrion a surprise and he on hearing their design retreated to Santee were we made some Stray and then returned to Wadboo where we were encamped for sometime. This deponent sometimes went out on scouting parties while at Wadboo he went with Genl. Marrion to a place on Wassamasaw ?Rated the ?Eyssus and returned to Wadboo--Col. Richardson was sent out with a Lieutenant against the enemy encamped on Cooper River just below the Wadboo he was defeated--after this defeat the army took an exctrine out around by the sea shore with a view of intersepting the British but failed and returned to Wadboo. He was then permitted to go home and remained about two months. From this time to the end of the war Genl. Marrion shifted his quarters frequently (and this deponent with him) on account of the British foreaging parties trying to procure provisions by the plundering--Genl. Marrion crossed Santee at ?Seaneaus Ferry and this deponent with him and in pursuit of a party of British and returned to Wadboo where we had left a member of beef cows and 30 men to guard them from the enemy, the British hearing (from the Tories) that there was but 30 men left for a guard attempted to get the cattle. Genl Marrion had returned earlier than he was expected to do and we had a sharp skirmish with the British dragoons, that went on this expedition--three of the enemy were killed and some wounded--about a fortnight after this skirmish the deponent was discharged by Genl. Marrion, who gave no written discharge. This was at the close of the war. From the time of receiving his commission this deponent acts under it as an officer and although he received no commission as Captain yet he commanded the company at the siege of Charleston and from the time to the end of the war.

Indurers of JOHN RICHBOURG Senr to the Interrogatories proper by the War department at Washington Intended to accompany his declaration by way of amending thereto In as given to Interrogatory 1st this deponent upon oath says that he was born in Craven County S.C. Marks Parish now Clarendon County Santee District the 23rd of August 1747.

Interrogatory Interry 2nd The only record of his age is agiven by himself from his Father's family bible--there written in his father's own handwriting.

Answer to Interry 3rd. He lived in Craven County St. Mark's Parish now Sumter District County South Carolina he has to and the revolutionary (the most of the time) in ClarendonSumter District ever since the District was formed and lived before that time written the bounds of said District.

Answer to Interry 4th This deponent entered the service as a volunteer later 8 or 10 months joined a militia company where he served through the remainder of the revolutionary war under a 2nd Lieut. commission. He was not drafted, at any time, but went out to service on every call.

Answer to Interry 5th Genl. Lincorn, Genl, Green, Genl. H. Sumter and Gen. Scott--This deponent recollects Col. Sumter's Regiment which was in the continental service and Col. Richardsons and Col. McDonald's Regiments in the Militia service. The deponents services were rendered in the irregular manner already detailed in the amendment to his declaration.

Answer to Interry 6th ( To a soldier (He received no discharge

( To an officer (This deponent did receive a 2nd Lieutenants commission--it was signed by Governor Rutledge and it is lost or mislaid.

Answer to Interry 7th--this deponent states the names of Rev. Henry D. Green and Col. Evans Benbow sworn to and subscribed this 28th day of November 1833


Personally appeared before me the undersigned, a Justice of the Quorum of South Carolina Sumter District JOHN RICHBOURG, Senr who being duly sworn, deposeth and saith that by reason of old age, and the consequentary loss of memory he cannot swear positively as to the precise length of his service, but according to the best of his recollection, he served not less than the periods mentioned below, and in the following grades: For six months I served as a private volunteer. For one year and eight months I served as second Lieutenant in the militia; and for such service I claim a pension. Sworn to before me the dates as above November 28th 1833

Wm. J. Reynolds UR JOHN RICHBOURG Senr


South Carolina

Sumter District I Thomas J. Wider Clerk of the Court of

Common Pleas for Sumter District, do hereby certify that Wm. J. Reynolds is an acting Magistrate and that the signature above is his own proper hand writing and that he is legally authorized to administer oaths given under my hand ) Th J. Wilder CCPS

and seal of the court this )

29th day of November 1833 )


1314 N. 120 11 June 86


for 365 days being a prisoner from the 23d of May 1780 to 23d of May 1781 at 5 L day amounting to SAF L 91.5

Ninety one pounds five shillings SAF EA JW

State of South Carolina To JOHN RICHBOURG Sr.

To 365 Days being a prisoner from the 23d May 1780 to the 23d May 1781 at ?????pay Rev 11 June 1786 full Satisfaction from the within above in an Indent No. 1214 Y JOHN RICHBOURG 29 May 86

December the 12 1720. This certifies that General Marion's Brigade lay at the House of James Richbourg the above date and that the appraisers for the Necessary there received did appraise Eleven head of Hogs a 60 lb each, 15 Bushels Bolted Meal, and Corn and fodder for 300 Horses, given under my hand this 22nd day of June 1784.

W. Fodder A Horse 2100 lbs Wm. Martin

6 qts corn a Horse 20 Bus.

Sir be pleased to deliver to Colonel Wade Hampton of Camden District all the Indenture owe me From the State for 18 or 19 head of Beef Cattle also sorrage for 250 Horses from one day a Certificate for one Horse by Colonel Singleton Delivered at 144 sometime in the war Together with all their claims whatsoever which I have sold to him for value received witness my hand

Witnesses Henry Richbourg

Isaac Connor ICC 26th June 1792

James Richbourg JP


   Return to RICHBOURG page