OUR FOLKS by Maron Summer Eve
p8 Culpeper County, Virginia Will book B & C Loose Papers and Inscriptions, Page 75. Will of James Tutt of Culpeper County, Jan. 20, 1786. Wife: Ann Williams, sons, also daughters and Ann Williams, wife of PAUL WILLIAMS.
p 9 Abstracts of the State of South Carolina 1740-1760 Will book 1752-1756, Page 180 PAUL WILLIAMS, Berkeley Co... Wife: MARTHA. Sons: David, Daniel...all other children not named.
p11-12 March 22, 1786. Release (Proceeded by Lease) David Martin, Preacher, of County Newberry and Province of S.C. to James Caldwell, Planter of aforesaid place, Consideration L200 sterling. 100 Acres being part of a 200 Acre tract, the upper end of aforesaid tract called William’s Old Mill near a pine on the NE line thence to a Hickory between Board and Saluda Rivers originally granted to PAUL WILLIAMS June 9, 1752, and at his decease descended unto his eldest son Jeremiah Williams, conveyed by said Jeremiah Williams and Jane his wife unto Daniel Williams by lease and Release bearing date April 7,, 1755 and said Daniel Williams Dec’d bequeathed the land unto his nephew John Pearson Sept. 9th 1765 (Recorded citation duly recorded in Secretaries Office in Book N.N. Page 226). Signed: Daniel martin. Witness: David Cannon, John Cannon, Augustus Williams. Proved by David Cannon before David Ruff, JP, Sept. 12, 1792. Recorded 2nd 1793.
p479 The Daniel Goggans Family Cemetery
Newberry County, S.C. on southside of Little River on Goggans Branch near housesite.
Reference: Cemetery Chart dated: March 25, 1982 by Maron S. Eve
The following information was sent to me by Pat S. Drennan in 1997. He stated the following information was derived from the P. K. Williams Family, a compilation of records, memories and photographs of the family over the years past. This information was assembled by Carolyn E. Sowell, Carl C. Williams deceased and Marshall L. Williams of Bridgewater, Va.
A Brief history of The Early Williams Ancestors
The Williams Family in South Carolina
In 1750, PAUL WILLIAMS petitioned the Crown for a grant of 200 acres of land for himself and two sons on Second Creek, above Broad River, in the forks of the Broad and Saluda Rivers in what is now Newberry County, South Carolina. It was then Berkeley, one of the four original Colonial counties. This was one of the early grants in this area which became known as the "Dutch Fork", because of the large number of German-speaking settlers who located in the area between these two rivers. On this land PAUL WILLIAMS had built a hours and was building a grist mill. In his petition, PAUL WILLIAMS said he "is recently come from Philadelphia". He also asked for a grant for his son-in-law, John Pearson, who had one son. (1)
The name of the oldest son of PAUL WILLIAMS was Jeremiah. This is shown by the will of PAUL WILLIAMS and subsequent deed records. (2) Normally, the real property was inherited by the oldest son according to laws in effect at that time. However, the will of PAUL WILLIAMS, dated 28 March 1754, and probated on 31 May 1754, left 200 acres of land and real property to his widow, MARTHA, and to two of his sons, David and Daniel, with the provision that MARTHA was to have the use of the land and grist mill during her life. All other children, unnamed, were left one silver dollar. To carry out the provisions of this will, Jeremiah Williams and his wife, Jean (or Jane), made a deed to Daniel Williams on 6 April 1755. (3)
Daniel Williams upon his death in 1765 left the 200 acres to his nephew, John Pearson, jr. (4) His will provided that money should be used to care for his three minor children, Daniel, Benjamin Paul and Mary Williams, and for his mother, MARTHA. Probably the grandson, John Pearson, Jr., was living on the mill property and taking care of his grandmother, MARTHA WILLIAMS.
John Pearson, jr., and his wife, Elizabeth sold 100 acres of this land to Daniel Horsey in 1774, and later deed records refer to it as "Williams’ old mill". (5) In this same will, Daniel Williams left a "Small rifle gun" to his nephew, Jeremiah Williams, Jr. Jeremiah Williams, the son of PAULl, received a grant of 300 acres of land in what is now Newberry County on 20 June 1754. Jeremiah Williams sold land on which he had built a story and a half house to T. Burr Calvert Harris in 1773. The original house was lived in until 1969 when it burned, taking the life of its last resident, an elderly lady who was a descendant of the Harris family. Records show that he received another Royal Grant of 200 acres in Craven County in December 1772. (6) He sold half of this land to James Caldwell on 28 November 1789 – both were then residents of Newberry County.
This Jeremiah Williams is believed to be the one who served as Justice of the Peace in Orangeburg District in 1802 and for several years after that in Edgefield District. There are no probate, family or other records to give the names of his children with the exception of Jeremiah, Jr. Who is mentioned in the will of his uncle, Daniel Williams.
Jeremiah Williams, Jr. Is believed to be the one of that name who served in the South Carolina state troops in the Revolutionary War as a sergeant, captain and major. He is later referred to as Jeremiah Williams, Sr. in the public records of Anderson County, south Carolina.
The following petition which was filed as a claim for a state pension, gives Captain Jeremiah Williams’ recollection of his Revolutionary War Service: --