Ovarian Cancer Health
Home ]

 

Educate Congress about Ovarian Cancer.

 

She is walking for ovarian cancer.  Say a prayer for all those who are affected by this terrible disease. She's walking around the world --- via my web site!  

Ovarian Cancer Whispers - so listen... Watch for Pelvic or abdominal pain or discomfort; vague but persistent gastrointestinal upsets such as gas, nausea, and indigestion; frequency and/or urgency of urination in the absence of an infection; unexplained weight gain or weight loss; pelvic and/or abdominal swelling, bloating and/or feeling of fullness; ongoing unusual fatigue; or unexplained changes in bowel habits. 

If symptoms persist for more than 2 weeks, ask your doctor for a combination pelvic/rectal exam, CA-125 blood test, and transvaginal ultrasound. A Pap Test WILL NOT detect ovarian cancer.

-----

Please watch "THE WHISPER"   http://vimeo.com/15482652  Password: baldisbeautiful

You need to watch the entire 28 minute piece to get its full impact.
Some of the doctors who speak are:
Dr. Maurie Markman - MD Anderson
Dr. Beth Karlan - Cedar Sinai
Dr. Barbara Goff - U. of Washington

----

Most of us with ovarian cancer are aware that approximately 10% of ovarian cancer is hereditary.  The other 90% is not.  The only good news in all of this is that steps can be taken to prevent or reduce the risk of hereditary ovarian cancer through genetic testing and surgery.  This month, July 2010, I attended the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance conference in Washington, D.C.  There is a very informative and compelling video about hereditary ovarian cancer that I wish to share with you.  The link is below with her son's introduction to the video:

"Ovarian is known as the "Silent Killer" because unlike Breast Cancer, it carries the same symptoms of other health hazards.  My mother had her appendix removed and was told to try Malox TWO YEARS before discovering the source of her problems was Ovarian Cancer.  Identifying the BRCA gene helps us be congizent of the risk and be more in tune with our bodies.  Of those cases found early (Stage 1-2), we currently have a 90% survival rate.  But if caught late, a woman's chances of survival diminish to 25% (Stage 3) or 15% (Stage 4).  In my mother's case, she did everything the doctors told her to do, but it was not identified as Ovarian Cancer until it had progressed to Stage 3, and she passed just a year ago.  
 
Thank you for your time.  I know this is a lot of information, but it is critically important for the health of so many women, and for the emotional burden of so many left behind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKWu-Pl4kfY

--------

For more information on ovarian cancer visit:

National Ovarian Cancer Coalition

Ovarian National Cancer Alliance